Kahala Mall is my favorite baby friendly place to go. The air conditioner really is a wonderful thing on these hot, muggy days. There is a photo gallery by Macy's of children with Down Syndrome. There is a picture of the child and a picture the child took of someone special in his/her life. I am a huge fan of children's art and I always stop to look at the various displays. As I walked by each picture, I fell in love with the pure joy and happiness in each child's face. I could see in their eyes a genuine love and zest for life.
One particular mom's message to her son blew me away. I don't remember the exact words she wrote, but it went something like this, "I am so honored that you chose me to be your mom." I was brought to tears by this statement.
As Maya goes through her phase of discovering who she is as a person, we've gotten into some power struggles. It has gotten frustrating at times, but I've been thinking a lot about this quote, "I am so honored that YOU chose me to be your mom." To experience these struggles with Maya is an honor in itself. I never thought of it that way. I have the opportunity to teach her right from wrong and the true reward is seeing her blossom. Bernard always reminds me that we should cherish and appreciate life's most challenging moments. If everything were easy, we'd take it for granted.
No comments:
Post a Comment